Living in Australia is often referred to as “the lucky country.” It’s the place I am blessed to call home, but when it comes to overseas travel, distance is indeed an issue. For us Melbournians, travel to the USA or Europe can result in over 20 hours on a plane.
These long haul journeys can be quiet tiresome and one needs to be prepared for these lengthy flights.
Here is my essential carry on luggage list when travelling on long flights…
- Ensure all passports, important documentation and valuables are always with you.
- A spare change of clothes – pack a spare change of clothes and underwear for each person travelling. Luggage can always get lost, and if it does you are prepared. I always wear my jeans on the plane and heavy jacket /cardigan which can be used as a blanket. I take a spare pair of leggings and socks (socks for hygiene reasons) which I change into on the plane and remain in for the whole journey until its time to land, where I then change back into my jeans. Comfort is a must on these long flights.
- Hand sanitiser and anti bacterial wipes to wipe down folding tables, arm rests etc. Tissues are always handy as well,
- Toiletries – toothbrush and toothpaste, lip balm / paw paw cream, deodorant / perfume, and earplugs are recommended,
- Medication and first aid – having worked in pharmacy before I’m a walking chemist at the best of times, so when I travel I pack all necessary medications. Prescribed medication, painkillers, antihistamines, etc. Remember different countries may offer unfamiliar medications to the ones you have at home. Having a child who suffers from motion sickness I always pack a Vicks Vapour stick, as the smell of airplane food triggers nausea. Smelling the eucalyptus Vicks stick helps immensely,
- Bottle of water and extra snacks for the flight, chewing gum or any chewy lollies helps with ear popping when landing and taking off,
- Music and headphones,
- Electronic devise and chargers,
- Books / Kindle, card games for the kids (Uno) etc, activity books, and pens are a necessity for filling out incoming passenger cards on flights.
- Neck pillows
- Vodka – Vodka is my daughter’s teddy bear that comes along for the ride. (Not the drink…. 😉 He is well traveled! )
I always take this with us…
If there is anything I have left out or if you have any suggestions or your own tips, please let me know in the comment section below.
Happy travelling 🙂
<a data-pin-do=”buttonBookmark” data-pin-save=”true” href=”https://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/button/”></a>